I am planning a lovely little getaway over Easter with my two girls, we are hoping to visit Italy but struggling to decide which part to visit as it all seems so beautiful!
In the meantime, to keep myself busy, I have put together a list of places I would like to visit locally.
- Sky garden – A lot of people pay to go up to the top of the Shard to experience the views over London but it can be pricey. I have heard that the views are just as good from the sky garden and free so win, win! I imagine as it’s free that it gets really busy but a friend from university works there and has recommended going in the morning as it is quite empty so I think breakfast at the Sky garden is in order!
- Emirates cable car – I have wanted to do this or ages but want to go when there are clear skies so I can get a good view over the Thames so I think springtime would be perfect.
- The Saatchi gallery – With Sloane square, Kensington and Chelsea surrounding it the Saatchi gallery is situated in a perfect place to explore. I have been past it many times but never seen an exhibition in there, I have my eye on the upcoming ‘From selfie to self expression’ exhibition. Exploring the history of the selfie and highlighting the emerging role of the mobile phone as an artistic medium it sounds very interesting!
- Somerset house – This is an amazing building with so much history and has loads of events and exhibitions to visit. I am particularly interested in seeing the photography exhibition of Malick Sidibe who chronicles the lives and culture of the city of Bamako.
- Kensington gardens – With London being such a built up city we are still lucky that we have so many amazing green spaces and parks. I cant wait for all the spring colours to start blooming and would like to explore some of the parks that are not so close to home for a change.
- Movie at the Southbank – I love going to the movies and the BFI at the south bank has lots of independent or old movies that are not always on show at other local cinemas so it makes a nice change. The last movie I saw there was with a class I was supporting and it was a subtitled Polish adventure and we all really enjoyed it.
- The photographers gallery – This is the first gallery in Britain dedicated entirely to photography, they have exhibitions, workshops, events and talks updated regularly. I am interested in seeing the Roger Mayne exhibition hat opens in March looking at London communities in the 1950s and 1960s.
- Borough market – I haven’t been to Borough market since I was young and my daughter works just around the corner so I have decided that I will meet her for lunch and see what the market has to offer, I’m sure there is a lot as it always looks really busy when I go past it.
- The V&A museum – I love the V&A, described as the worlds leading museum for art and design, it is definitely one of my favourites and always has interesting things on show. At the moment they have a history of photography exploring the body and Beatrix Potters London which both look interesting.
- Posh hotel for afternoon tea – I love the little sandwiches and cakes displayed on cake stands it just looks so cute and I always see those offers on sites like Groupon with really good deals, so I may just be posh for the day and have some afternoon tea!
If you could visit anywhere in London where would you go?